August 7, 2009

Know-it-alls

When did the all purpose response of "mhmm" or "uh huh" morph into "I know"? I feel like everyone around me responds with "I know." At first I just ignored it, but after three months of constant I knows, I have started challenging people on whether or not they really do know.

I am entertained by the people that can justify their use of the phrase. They make elaborate attempts at making their knowledge base weave together to indeed prove that they did know (even if they didn't really know). Kudos to them.

My real frustration lies with those whom I consistently debunk their knowing yet they continue professing that they know. These people are looking more and more ridiculous in my eyes.

Favorite "I know" conversation:

Knowitall: You don't want to buy that house you were talking about. It's a mess.
Me: You don't even know which house it was.
Knowitall: I know, but you don't want it.
Me: How do you know? You don't even now the address.
Knowitall: I just know you don't want it.
Me: No, you don't know.
Knowitall: Yeah, it's the one on 67th street with a sign.
Me: Nope.
Knowitall: Well, I just know.
Me: How in the world would you know? Unless you are psychic, you have no knowledge base for this! Oh my gosh, just admit that you don't know. (Yeah, I didn't really say this, but I really wanted to.)

Let's agree, world: You stop saying "I know" unless you are sure you know, and I will stop getting riled up over two little words.

1 comment:

  1. I understand (See what I did there????? YES!). Except I'm generally on the Knowitall side of things - it's a personality flaw. I have a lot of those.

    At any rate, I'm glad I found your blog (FACEBOOK!!!) and I'll certainly keep reading it.
    Take luck,
    Ben Nielsen

    ReplyDelete