August 11, 2009

Tupperware Temple

We all look at the story in the Bible when Jesus cleansed the temple and think that we'd never make our church into a marketplace. Well, too late! I'm not talking so much about bookstores and coffee shops in churches because those generally don't make a profit (at least not at my church). I am, however, talking about the members who wake up on Sunday morning and forget their Bible but remember to bring their Pampered Chef catalogs and Premier Jewelry flyers. In the last three months, I have been invited to five Premier Jewelry parties and encouraged to purchase Pampered Chef on at least four occasions. All of this badgering took place while at church. When did retail become a focus at church? I do not go to church to buy heavy-duty spatulas, overpriced jewelry, or matronly handbags, and, frankly, I'm tired of having to dispose of flyers, invitations, and catalogs received while at church. To show my disapproval of this ridiculous new trend, I will take the most recently received flyer, wad it up, and dispose of it. What will this stand do? Absolutely nothing.

2 comments:

  1. This is a pet peeve of mine as well. Great minds think alike and so do we...

    ReplyDelete