August 24, 2009

Life on shuffle


I have about 4,000 songs on my iPod, so I am a huge playlist person. I have different playlists for different moods, different seasons, different times of the day, and even one for when I blow dry my hair. But sometimes I can't really pinpoint what kind of music I want to listen to, so I opt to listen to all of my songs on shuffle, which can be an experience that ranges from great to irritating. I'll get treated to some Coldplay, then a little Phil Joel, and maybe some Ginny Owens or Jimmy Needham. You can get a real groove going, and then the theme song to Reading Rainbow or Mr. Ed comes on or some lame rap or teen pop song that you unfortunately paid money for in the eigth grade. This always reminds me why I create playlists.

Life is like listening to your iPod on shuffle. You can't create playlists. You can't always weed out the jolt of unpleasantness. Sometimes when those groove-killing songs start playing, I run over to my iPod dock and skip to the next song. I've come to realize, especially over the last two weeks, that I can't hit the skip button in life. I just have to keep reminding myself that I'm on shuffle and something good has got to be coming up.

1 comment:

  1. Or maybe you'll have to listen to the collected works of Nana Kitade--all 12 discs full--that your sister managed to sneak onto your iPod when you weren't paying attention.
    Right now, your mother is living through a LONG groove-buster.

    ReplyDelete