September 17, 2009

Accentuate the Positive

Humans talk to each other all day every day, that is unless you are a hermit. I have found that many times what is said goes in one ear and right out the other, but I have also found that some things stick no matter how faulty your memory is. These are the hurtful things, whether we say them or they are said to us. I remember being called a liar just a few years ago by the head football coach at SBU (when indeed he was the one telling an untruth). I remember telling my mom I hated her when I was 12 or 13 (needless to say, I didn't really mean it). I remember riding the school bus in 4th grade and being asked if I shopped at the Gap since the space between my front teeth was so large (thank you, dad, for braces!). I can even remember back to the first day of kindergarten when an older kid made fun of my dress that my mom made for me (thankfully my sister, who was 6, threatened to beat the kid up. ha!). Why do negative moments stand out in our minds? It's because we feel sorry for ourselves and dwell on what was said.

It's time to snap out of it!

I can think of three positive things that were said to me in the few hours I've been at work today. Will I remember them tomorrow? A few months ago, I probably would not, but now I think I will. I've decided it's important to accentuate the positive. Someone gave me a compliment 3 weeks ago, and I didn't even say thank you, but it meant a lot to me and I'll remember it for a long time. I got applauded in a meeting yesterday. Will I remember that? Heck yes! It was totally uncomfortable, but it felt great to be recognized. Sure, negative things happened in the last few weeks, but I don't remember what they were, and I really don't care.

Keep being a grumpy gus if you want, but I choose to accentuate the positive.

Disclaimer: It would help me out tremendously if you only said nice things to me. Thank you for complying.

No comments:

Post a Comment