September 15, 2009

Ten Things Tuesday: 10 reality shows that make me smile

In honor of tonight's Biggest Loser premier and Big Brother finale, I thought it was appropriate to list the ten reality shows that make me smile. They aren't necessarily my favorite, but they caught my attention.

1. My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiancé. This show actually aired about 5 or 6 years ago, but I still think it's funny. A woman pretended to be engaged to an overweight, obnoxious man, who was actually an actor being paid to be as obnoxious and disgusting as possible. If they fooled her family into believing that they were really engaged, the woman would win $1,000,000. The "relationship" was so believable that the woman's father and brother were in tears urging her not to marry him. I felt bad for them, but in the end, all of the awkwardness and disgust was worth it. She and her family walked away with $1,000,000. And best of all, she had no idea her "fiancé" was an actor until the end. She just thought he was always that disgusting and obnoxious! So funny.

2. Dancing With the Stars. While it's mildly entertaining to watch "celebrities" learn to dance, I think it's even more entertaining to watch judge Bruno Tonioli react to the dances he really likes. He practically lunges at the dancers pointing his finger at the dance floor almost screaming his accolades in a thick Italian accent. Also fun to watch is Kenny Mayne's "Dance Center." It really doesn't stop being funny the fact that a sports anchor is wearing eyeshadow and a sparkly shirt.

3. The Amazing Race. This is just an exciting show. Sometimes funny things happen, like when the contestants had to carry huge wheels of cheese down a hill and they kept rolling everywhere. One contestant kept screaming, "where's the cheese?" But most of the time, it's just intense competition, whether it's catching a flight, flagging down a cab, or looking for coffins in Transylvania. It's just a good game.

4. Here Come the Newlyweds. This show was a little raunchy, but I laughed hysterically when the women were blindfolded and told to identify their husband's butt. Some of them were a little hesitant, while others gave the task a 100% effort.

5. So You Think You Can Dance. I can't dance, so I like to watch others dance. I pick favorites and ultimately get crushed in the end. Maybe it would help if I actually voted for my favorites.

6. Dating in the Dark. It's so pathetic that these people all walk away "finding the one they are meant to be with." They only had a few days to get to know each other, and they think it's true love because they got to know each other in a pitch black room. They are not required to pick their "match" based on personality alone, though. They make their decision only after seeing the other person's appearance. It all comes back to appearances.

7. The Bachelorette. I usually don't watch The Bachelor or The Bachelorette, but for some reason this season I was hooked. I screamed at Jillian when she kept picking Wes, and I cheered for her every time she picked Ed. Needless to say, I was pleased with the outcome.

8. There Goes the Neighborhood. This reality game show has a very real element to it. On most shows, the contestants are strangers who have never met and who will never have to meet again, but on There Goes the Neighborhood, the contestants actually live next door to each other. The families have known each other anywhere from 6 months to 10 years. The game played out like any other reality game show. Feelings were hurt and alliances were made. It got ugly! These people either need to heal or start house hunting.

9. Big Brother. I didn't watch seasons 1-10 of Big Brother, but for some reason this season it caught my attention. I am hooked. The drama, the lies, the scheming, the personalities, the friendships, the grudges ... it kind of wears me out, but I'm loving it! Tonight it all ends, and a winner is announced!

10. Biggest Loser. My absolute favorite! I can't get enough of this show. I love to watch these people change their lives - physically and mentally. I love to see the transformations, but also the hard work that gets them there. And it all starts tonight!

Enough blogging, I'm gonna go home and get ready to watch some reality TV!

No comments:

Post a Comment